Thursday, April 7, 2011

A Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd

So it's actually a book review today!

I piecemeal read A Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd by Jim Fergus. I read half, then skipped to the end, read the end, then skipped back and piecemeal read the rest. Never did get around to putting in a bookmark, that's why. Never thought about a bookmark until I was settled, feeding the baby, thinking, "Should've found a bookmark."

The book is great. Along the delightful lines of These is My Words and with enough romance for even Guernsey fans. The plot is that women (of their own accord) are given to the Cheyenne nation in the 1800s to be brides of the Cheyenne men. Jim Fergus did a lot of fantastic research into the Cheyenne culture---I know because that's where I went after I read the book.

And it. Is. Funny. Of course, I'm drawn to any book where the women are intelligent, sassy, plain-spoken gals who have brains and wit.

It would be a great book club book. Truly fun to both read and discuss.

It is about marriage. So there are consummation scenes. Blip. Blip. Move on with the plot. But if those will offend you, skip them when you see them coming.

I think I'm going to buy this one. I'd enjoy reading it again and picking up the pieces that I missed the first time.

Read it before you give it a friend or daughter to read, then you can make the call.

1 comment:

LizzyP said...

I will check this out, for sure. I'm reading The Forgotten Garden right now. I'll let you know how it goes.