Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Documentaries we watched. Some we liked.

Sometimes we get on documentary kicks. Sometimes we find some good stuff. Sometimes we just send the movie back.

Here's a sampling of some of what we've been through that we thought were really good.

1. Waiting for Superman, about the public education system in the US. Fabulous. Really truly well done.

2. Mad Hot Ballroom, about the ballroom dance program for elementary students in New York? I think New York. Hilarious. A riot. I loved it.

3. Spellbound, about the National Spelling Bee. Good stuff.

4. Nursery University about preschool in New York. We liked it.

Other things we watched and thought were interesting:

1. The food movies. Like Supersize me, the reason that I cannot frequent McDonalds---seeing the movie obliterated my McD business forever. We also did Food Inc. (interesting).

2. The oil movies. King Corn and Fuel for example. Good.

3. The homebirth movies. Like Being Born in America. Interesting---ironic that almost every movie makes hospitals out to be BAD and then there's an emergency and that's where the BAD hospital homebirthers end up going. Eric and I always find that ironic.

I'm sure we'll find more topics. We like documentaries. Anyone have any other suggestions?


3 comments:

Sue Anne said...

The best documentary I've seen in forever is The September Issue.

Stacey said...

We just recently saw Waiting for Superman too... Makes me really excited about our decision to send S & C to a charter school next year. As much as I have tried to give our local school and teachers the benefit of the doubt, it is just not working out for us.

Another mindless but extremely entertaining documentary to watch: King of Kong. Truly hilarious and hard to believe this world exists.

katy said...

Wordplay is a fun one about the crossword puzzle championships. (Word Wars is a similar film about Scrabble -- haven't seen it, though.)

Race to Nowhere is the education film that has been big in my district. It has led to some interesting conversations.

Sound and the Fury is quite heart wrenching, but fascinating. It is about a family torn apart by the question of using cochlear implants with a deaf child.

Babies is in my queue. Not one I would have picked on my own, but several have recommended it to me. Same for The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill.

God Grew Tired of Us follows some of the Lost Boys of Sudan to the United States.

The Hobart Shakespeareans is also in my queue and looks fantastic.

And, of course, I've got a long list of favorite historical documentaries if you're ever in the mood.