Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Documentaries Take Two

Thanks for the comments! Fun suggestions! Katy, I would love to have your list of historical documentaries.

We also watched Babies, Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill, and Wordplay. We liked all of those and thought they were worth the time.

Stacey, I would be so, so interested in your charter school experience. There aren't charter schools where we live for elementary, but there is a math and science charter school for junior high that's opening. If there were a waiting list, even so early in the game, we'd be on it.

1 comment:

katy said...

OK, here's a few of my favorite historical films:

The Untold Story of Emmett Louis Till

Debating Our Destiny (available on PBS.org -- if you can find part I and II, they are both great)

American Experience: Battle of the Bulge

Lots of other American Experience episodes -- they put quite a few of them online, too

So Goes the Nation

Dear America: Letters from Vietnam

Eyes on the Prize (entire series is great - I often play the Boston busing episode for students and they are *shocked* to realize it is relatively recent history and in their own hometown)

Paper Clips

The Endurance

The Weather Underground (*warning on this one - there's a scene in the middle I had to skip past, but overall I thought it was fascinating to see the selfish conceit that transformed a group from being concerned citizens to domestic terrorists)

PBS puts a lot of their films online or on Google Video -- I've seen some great Frontline documentaries, or historical bits like "Empires: Martin Luther," on time periods or people that are interesting

These are films that *I* like, and some of them are great with my students, too. But there's a whole other list of great classroom films -- like the Shi Huangdi film that has 9th grade boys on the edge of their seats AND recalling facts for weeks afterward. THAT is invaluable!