Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Family Nobody Wanted by Helen Doss

I breezed through The Family Nobody Wanted by Helen Doss, who writes about her journey as she and her husband adopt 12 children into their family during the 1940's. Doss and her husband are unable to conceive children on their own, so they adopt the "unwanted" children of the time---children of different races and ethnicities.

It's a lovable story about acceptance in a time that was unaccepting. There are very, very dated references to old ideas about color of skin and race. It was almost laughable in parts where I knew Doss was being very, very serious, when she talked about how un-white children were viewed. Ah, times have changed. Or have changed in many places.

I thought about my son attending school, now in 2012, where he's the minority because he's one of two white boys in his class. When I ask him about his friends, he doesn't see color or race. He just sees his pals. Black hair, brown eyes, udon for lunch, light skin, blue eyes, PBJ, it's all the same to him. To my son, there is no "them" and "us". There are just kids.

But I think the story of family love here is timeless. Families who are considering adopting children would be especially endeared.

Great recommendation, Meg in Sheridan!

No comments: