Thursday, June 21, 2012

The Covenant by Beverly Lewis

I read The Covenant by Beverly Lewis because I couldn't find The Shunning in our library.

Lewis weaves beautiful dramas about life in the Amish community. I really liked The Covenant, about four daughters of marriageable age. Usual conflicts: what to believe, who to marry, when to rebel, when to submit. Nice! Lewis isn't Wilde (or wild for that matter) as far as word choice and description, but she tells a good tale and keeps the story moving.

Part of the appeal was the "otherness" of the Amish, and Lewis neither grandizes them or demeans them. Not a complex work, but good for readers who want a good story.

Good for a church book club? Maybe. Clean enough. Good pick for a book club that wants a non-Twilight "YIKES-what was that two pages of kissing?"benign read. Not a stellar choice if you have a book club looking for the next Jane Austen.

But. I liked it. This is the first in the series and I'd read the rest if the mood struck me.

1 comment:

Melody said...

Speaking of book clubs, mine just read What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty, which was my recommendation. Normally we talk about the book for 20 minutes, then gossip (you know how it is) for 2 hours, but this one sparked a really long, intense conversation. And I think everybody loved the book. So if I haven't already gushed about it to you, here I am, gushing and recommending.