Friday, January 11, 2013

The Day I Became A Woman

In my quest for fascinating foreign film, I watched the Iranian film The Day I Became A Woman.

I didn't get it. Plenty of fodder for discussion, but it was very artsy and the creation of the meaning would be better done in a group setting.

It reminded me of the first foreign film I saw, as part of an Honors conference my freshman year of college. That film was My Life as a Dog.

As I was watching Dog, I was eavesdropping on the professors who were going to lead the post-watching discussion. They were sitting behind me and one said to the other, "Do you know what you are going to say?" And the other said, "No," and blurbed something about making it up.

Which was of great comfort to me that they didn't get it either.

Katy?

Anyone?

Let me know if you thought this was profound. You could convince me, really. I'm just sure there was more to get than I got, that's all I'm saying.

But I thought the whole tea on the beach scene was interesting and the girl with the headphones and the  shrinking shadow . . . well, we could all write a good essay about those, now couldn't we?

No comments: