Friday, January 4, 2013

Pressure Cooker, the movie

You should check out Pressure Cooker, a documentary about a high school foods teacher in inner city somewhere (Philly?) who teaches her kids culinary arts in preparation for scholarship competitions.

(Lots of prepositional phrases in that sentence. Sorry.)

I think there's some swearing. I think it's the teacher. :) Boy, is she feisty.

You'll love her.

And she loves her kids.

My favorite quote from the movie is one character chiding her teenage pals, "Ya'll's palate consists of Fritos and Cheetos."

Or something like that.

Just thinking about it makes me smile.

2 comments:

LizzyP said...

We love this documentary, Deborah! We have a thing for the dedicated, overcoming-odds, defensive-of-their-students kind of teachers.

Betsy Escandon said...

Yes, I enjoyed that one as well. While waiting for someone to figure out how to solve the whole community's problems, I admire anyone who gives those with the gumption to do so a chance to get out of there and make a better live for themselves. I think there should be many more opportunities to move into trades from high school.