Friday, January 4, 2013

It's so hard to say good-bye to yesterday


So there's this box, waiting for me in our office, of old VCR tapes. It's time to let go. It's time to recycle. It's time to embrace the fact that I can request any movie via Netlix. It's time to come to grips with the fact that we don't even own a VCR.

Yet, still, I'm having a hard time. It's like a break up even though it's a relationship that's dead weight.

I think I'm clinging to these tapes because I spent so many hours with them. These were my mindless grading movies that made pleasant the hours of grading vocab. Not essays---I needed full attention for those---but other projects where I could give my attention to my grading and then let my mind wander off for a moment or two.

Some of these I even own on DVD for Pete's sake. But here is my list in farewell. These tapes will not last past my New Year's clean-up.

Really. I'm letting go.

Really.

So here's the list. If you haven't discovered these yet, I would recommend them. I've put *s next to the ones that some mild swearing. (That I remember)

1. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
2. Persuasion with Amanda Root.
3. What about Bob?
4. Twelfth Night with Helena Bonham Carter
5. The Scarlet Pimpernel with Anthony Andrews
6. An Affair to Remember with Cary Grant
7. The Man from Snowy River
8. Jane Eyre with Samantha Morton
9. Emma with Gweneth Paltrow
10. Sense and Sensibility with Emma Thomspsen
11. Ever After with Drew Barrymore
12. The Parent Trap with a very young and innocent Lindsay Lohan
13. Veggie Tales Very Silly Songs
14. Sabrina with Harrison Ford
*15. My Dog Skip (good, but some violence)
16. That Thing You Do
17. The Princess Diaries with Anne Hathaway
*18. Wide Awake with Rosie O'Donnell (Rather obscure, but worth seeing)
19. Return to Me with Minnie Driver
20. Corrina, Corrina with Whoppi Goldberg
21. The Sandlot
22. Karen Voight's Pure and Simple Stretch (that's a stretching tape for when I really needed a break)

See? Isn't that just a classic list?

Parting is such sweet sorrow.

(Burst into singing with me . . . )

So I'll take with me the memories to be my sunshine after the RAY-AIN-IN. It's so HAR ARD to say GOOD bye to yesterday AHAY.

3 comments:

Sue Anne said...

I'm struggling with the same thing. I actually have two working VCRs, but haven't had them plugged in forever. I need to finally get rid of all these video tapes.

I think the only one I'm going to keep is the collector's edition of Princess Bride. :)

Mae said...

I still have a VCR but only a few tapes. Do I a) transfer those tapes to DVD and chuck the tapes or b) keep the VCR and the tapes anyway for our "time capsule"? hahahahaha

Betsy Escandon said...

There are A LOT of movies on that list I have never seen. What about Bob? drove me nuts. I couldn't watch the whole thing. We used to have Scarlet Pimpernel on VHS; now we have it on DVD (favorite or David's and his sister). Oh man, we watched Man from Snowy River so many times as kids (6 girls). The sequel was really not up to snuff. I do like Return to Me but it is a little too sad for me to watch repeatedly. I don't like the spouse dying young movies. I like the newer Masterpiece classic jane eyre. Own it in fact.

I used to watch the food channel while grading papers.