Monday, November 26, 2012

The Color of Paradise. It's lovely.

I'm really getting into these Iranian films. I'm not sure than any of my (very few) followers even like foreign film, but if you do . . . try The Color of Paradise, about a blind Iranian boy.

The cinematography is so beautiful. Most movies I'm just as happy to see at home, especially since I'm not into blowing up movies. You know "Blow up the car, blow up a building. Ooooh, cool, blow up a car AND a building . . ." Not really into those, but I talk to people who are impressed with these on a big screen. Me, not so much, and there's really nothing that's a big draw for me on a big screen. But occasionally a movie comes along where the colors are so vivid and the scenes are so lovely that I long for a theatre and a really big screen. This movie is one of those. It's art---and just as Vermeer is better in person versus via a print in a book, this movie was meant to be viewed on a big screen.

There's this scene with an old peasant woman walking through feathers that completely changed my view of artistic filming.

One of the things I like about these films is that they are not French. With French film, you're viewing something completely harmless and then the scene shifts into something sordid. No warning. There you are---you thought it was clean and now it's not. AH!

But these Iranian films are mostly about Muslim women. Modest and covered. It's just nice.

So I liked the movie. Just about broke my heart. I wasn't a big fan of the ending, but it was well-filmed. Watch it. You'll see.

Mel, do you and Quinn and do foreign film? Laura? Anyone?


2 comments:

katy said...

Ah, one of my favorites! If you haven't seen "Children of Heaven," it is another wonderful film from the same director - I love it.

Sea Star said...

We watch a lot of foreign films around here and yes you do have to be careful about them because they throw in a lot of unnecessary things but we have watched a number of really good ones.

Do you like Bollywood? Lagaan is a great one to start with if you haven't ventured into Indian films. And the best part of Bollywood is they have very strict rules about kissing and such so you won't be surprised by scenes of that nature.

If I look through my Netflix history

Tampopo
Swades
Paheli
Kuch Kuch Hota Hai
Mujhse Dosti Karoge!
Baabul
Jodhaa Akbar
My Little Bride
Raise the Red Lantern
Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi
Kandukonden Kandukonden
Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam
Mostly Martha
Ponette
The Butterfly
Jab We Met

That is quite a list. We must watch a lot of movies!