Thursday, March 29, 2012

Life after Magic Treehouse, Take Two

Here's the response I received when I asked my cousin, who was reading Michener's novel Space by the time he was 12. He said,

" Is he old enough for A Wrinkle In Time? Tennis Shoes Among the Nephites? Watership Down? The old Hardy Boys are total fluff but harmless and fun for a kid. I'm not sure about the newer versions of Hardy Boys, but the ones available in about 1980 were great. I'll have to think on this some more. I think you are smart to keep him off the computer for a while. I personally think it's better to let a young mind and brain develop its connection to people, and the written word, before being rewired by computers."

and

"The Great Brain! (very fun series set in pioneer Utah no less.) Encyclopedia Brown. My Side of the Mountain / Far Side of the Mountain / Frightful's Mountain. (those last four are from his wife)."


No comments: