Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story

It's decided to be the dead of winter in our neck of the woods. Of course "dead of winter" where we live means it's 51 degrees outside and it's cold and it rains and the hummingbirds flit amongst the blossoms on the trees . . . the kind of weather that says spring/early summer/let's-go-to-the lake in some parts of Idaho, I realize, but it's winter for us. And that makes me want cocoa and movies.

So last night I huddled under a quilt and watched Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story, about a pediatric neurosurgeon and his inspiring story. It was on my Netflix instant queue.

We're going to read the book for my book club later this year and when I read that part of the plot of the book is that Carson has problems with some of the arrogant doctors he meets in peds neurosurgery, I knew this was the book for me. Someone else who has had a problem with a peds neurosurgeon---sign me up!

You should watch this movie. It is marvelous. Liz, you and Dan will like it.

I know I've already mentioned how much I liked Something The Lord Made, about the first heart surgery done on a child, but that's a good movie too.

After you've watched both of those, that should give you your medical movie fix for awhile.

I warn you, though, if you have ever loved a child who has been in the ICU, or surgery, or had medical adventures, you should bring some Kleenex.

1 comment:

Betsy Escandon said...

Louise Plummer has a blog? I never would have known if not for you.