Tuesday, July 3, 2012

French Kids Eat Everything by Le Billon

I've long been a fan of the book French Women Don't Get Fat by Mireille Guiliano. Guilino offers a common sense approach (the French way) it turns out, to eating and enjoying food. Not a diet, but a healthful way to eat that's full of flavor. Love it.

So I was intrigued by French Kids Eat Everything, in which Le Billon, a native Canadian writes, "How our family moved to France, cured picky eating, banned snacking, and discovered 10 simple rules for raising happy, healthy eaters" . . . her journey, literal and figurative, into French foodways and raising kids.

I think I will buy a copy and keep it on my shelf next to Mireille's book. Although I don't agree with everything in the book (French women don't nurse their babies for long, turns out), I think there are some good, basic tips and tricks about how to get kids---families, really---to eat better. Again, not a diet, but an attitude of enjoying healthful food and teaching kids to enjoy healthful food as well.

And since I've read it, I've been more aware of what/how often my kids snack and what/how much I'm giving them at meals. Good reminders. And Le Billon is a good writer, witty, and not preachy. Real. She writes conversationally, peppered with current research and cultural commentary. Just very well done.

No comments: