Friday, February 24, 2012

State of the Onion by Julie Hyzy

I had a bad attitude about this book when I saw it on our book club list for this year. I'd tried other culinary-based fiction and came away wishing I'd tried another place to feast. So far, the only one would could pull of writing with a foodie twist was Reichl's Garlic and Sapphires, but that was non-fiction.

So food mystery? Please.

But I was wrong! I love it when I'm wrong and the book is good! State of the Onion is a pleasure. No Pulitzer necessarily, but a fun, breezy, escape-y, "ooh, that sounds yummy", good plot, decent writing, nicely constructed foodie mystery.

My library doesn't have the rest of the series and that makes me sad. So I wrote them a nice note on their website and suggested they purchase the rest of the series. Usually they take my advice (it's nothing personal, I think they are just glad someone has a suggestion) and I hope they do. If not, I'll have to find another library or treat myself to buying the rest of the series.

Nothing sketchy. Well, not really. It is a murder mystery, so don't be shocked when there's shooting. But it's such a nice little murder mystery . . . think Poirot, but with more food, in the White House, with a female protagonist.

Yes. Think that. Then roll your eyes that I'm trying to compare Poirot to a White House food chef and go find yourself a copy of State of the Onion.

1 comment:

Sea Star said...

The county library system has a bunch of them. I just put this one on hold. I always like your book suggestions!