Monday, October 4, 2010

The Forgotten Garden

Go find a copy of The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton. Sigh before you open it. Relax. Stretch out in down dog if you must to get all limber. Breathe in, open the book, and read to your heart's content.

It's like knowing you like tulips, and sending you to Filoli in April. It's like having you tell me you are craving dark chocolate and guiding you to Ghardelli Square. It's like knowing you are a cupcake fiend, blindfolding you, and landing at Kara's Cupcakes.

It's like The Secret Garden for grown-ups. It will take you back to the first time you read The Secret Garden by Burnett, and the childhood bliss of learning about Mary and Collin and all the rest. You will go back to the bliss, but not to your gangly phase, and that will make you so happy.

Good plot. Lovely writing. Hint of mystery. Madmen. Old castles. Secret keys. Lost loves. Found loves. Wicked Stepmother figures. Fairy tales. Secrets buried. It's got it all.

I do believe Anne with an E would like this book. I certainly did.

2 comments:

LizzyP said...

I'll check it out. Enchanted April (the book) reminded me of Secret Garden somehow.

By the way, one of my favorite bloggers Sara on Clover Lane (memoriesoncloverlane.blogspot.com) put out a call for favorite books. You have to leave your recommendations. I'll check her comments in a few days to see what you told her.

Amy & Greg said...

Deborah, I am so glad that thought to get on your book blog today. With a new little one arriving and a lot of nursing time ahead, it is time to start reading some good books.