Friday, October 8, 2010

Best Way to Find New Books

My favorite way to find new books is to go the bookstore. There they will be, lined up, ready for you to purchase.

I usually don't want to buy books, I'm just looking for a good read. So I make a list and head to the library---or better yet, a list and I get online and request them from the library.

The problem with the library is that they don't want you to buy the books, so they don' t have to market them. In that way, a library is like a secret club, waiting for you to indoctrinate yourself.

The downside of looking for new books at the bookstore is that the bookstore people usually haven't read them. "Is Little Bee any good?" I ask.

"What?" says the minimum wage clerk.

"Little Bee," I say. "It's right here."

"Oh. I haven't read it."

Thanks a lot. That's helpful.

A librarian could tell me more is my guess. So look at the bookstore, find it at the library, and then come back---right here---and tell me if you found anything good.

By the way, Mel, I know you are out there. Dash me a list sometime of the things you like. Long, long ago you were filed in my Hard-to-Get-On list of women with good literary taste. I'd love to hear your suggestions.

3 comments:

Anjanette said...

I just come to your blog when I need a book suggestion. Did I tell you that I just finished The Middle Place? I liked it. It made me think. Think think think.
I came to the conclusion that I need to live closer to family. Six hours just might not be good enough.

Sue Anne said...

There's sites you can go to like http://www.thebookexplorer.com/ where you can enter the title of a book, and it will give you rated suggestions of books you might like.

You can also do something similar on Amazon and search for a book you like and there's a whole lot of information on books other people have bought, ratings, etc.

Meg said...

There's a book I would like to read currently, but it hasn't been out long and my library hasn't purchased it yet. It is called The Happiness Project, by Gretchen Rubin. The author decided she wanted to be happier, so she spent a year testing all the theories on happiness she could find. I'm curious about it, but I haven't read it yet so I can't recommend it to you.