Friday, February 20, 2009

Try these again

If you read these as a child, or if you haven't discovered them yet, try these.

Deborah's Top 9 (see number 10) that are worth Rediscovering as an Adult

1. A Little Princess by Francess Hodgson Burnett

2. The Secret Garden by Burnett

3. Anne of Green Gables by Montgomery. Montgomery is clever and witty. I missed that when I read these before.

4. The Laura Ingalls Wilder books. If you don't want to do them all, just read These Happy Golden Years.

5. Peter Pan by Barrie

6. The Jungle Book by Kipling. Shocking to read these as an adult and find such strong themes of atonement and redemption. I thought it was just a cute story, but no, no, no. There's depth there. Who knew?

7. Mary Poppins by P.L. Travers

8. Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Paterson

9. Daddy Long Legs by Jean Webster

(10. This would be a better list if there were 1o. I'm going to have to come back. I'm sure I'll think of a tenth at a random time. Like scrubbing the kitchen floor. Or while changing a poopy. THis is when my mind wanders.)

You can pass on Judy Blume. Pass, pass, pass. If you were already subjected to her, you don't need to go there again. Ditto on Cynthia Voight. Dicey will just have to be depressed somewhere else, but not in your library.

2 comments:

Sea Star said...

I am happy to say I have introduced most of your list to my kids already. Sophie loved the Little Princess and we made it through the first few Little house books. We will revisit them again! But my boys LOVED Peter Pan. We read it last summer and then picked up the audio books of Peter and the Starcatchers. It was a very fun follow up or actually prequel to Peter Pan.
I haven't started the Anne Books with Sophie yet but she is almost getting to the age I started reading them.

katy said...

Laura beat me to the punch on this, but my #10 would be Witch of Blackbird Pond. That was a favorite of mine for a long time. I read my mom a classic entry from my 6th grade journal -- "Oh me, oh my, whatever shall I do?" -- and she sighed, "You must have been reading Blackbird Pond again." I haven't revisited it in a while, but I'm thinking that it was just me that was over-the-top dramatic, not the book.