Friday, February 20, 2009

And one on Netflix

If you Netflix, put the BBC production of Charles Dickens' Bleak House in your queue. The one with Gillian Anderson.

I've never read Bleak House, but now I want to.

This three disk series is great. Positively fabulous. We loved it. We stayed up way too late watching it. We started Disk three on Thursday at 10:30 PM, telling ourselves we weren't going to watch all three hours. We lied.

The production is fabulous. FAB YOU LOUS. And Dickens is a master. Look for the themes of bondage and redemption, forgiveness and grudge, secrets, being a child, being a captive, being a deliverer, and so forth.

I could write a paper on Bleak House. Actually, I could write more than that.

Kristen C., now that you are done with Foyles War, try this one. Then call me so we can talk about it.

5 comments:

Sea Star said...

We watched Bleak House when it was shown on Masterpiece Theatre or Classics now. It was very well done. We love all these BBC mini series. Foyle's War too was and still is one we revisit all the time.

Laura Oler said...

I haven't seen the mini-series, but I did read Bleak House for book group several years ago. It takes a little while to get into it, but I really enjoyed it and was excited to discuss it. Then I missed the book group (I was working in nursery at the time and seemed to miss all the announcements). I recently read Tale of Two Cities (don't know how I missed this growing up), and I really enjoyed it. I loved your list of children's literature. The Little Princess and Secret Garden were two of my favorites. If you're still looking for a #10, I loved The Witch of Blackbird Pond. I haven't read it in a LONG time, so I don't know how well it would stand up now, but it was one I enjoyed. I never read Judy Blume -- I think I tried one and thought it was lame.

Mariann said...

I agree, Bleak house is great. I was great to see Gillian Anderson as something besides Scully.

Have you caught the new Oliver Twist on PBS the past couple of weeks? I'm liking it.

Kristen Crockett said...

I do so enjoy bypassing SIXTEEN discs of "Dog Whisperer" with something that I want to watch. I'll report back next week. And have you heard? They've commissioned 3 new episodes of Foyle in some post-war adventures.

Anderson Family said...

So glad you've become a Masterpiece junky like me (the college Kristen A. -- not some relative of Eric's. Some day I'll add a picture so you can tell.) Add another Charles Dickens to your list -- Our Mutual Friend. Paul and I like the Elizabeth Gaskell movies as well --Cranford, North and South, we are currently watching Wives and Daughters.