Monday, May 25, 2020

It takes Quarantine to Get Me Back to my Blog: Danish Living Books

I knew it had been a while since I blogged. How is a year and five months "a while"?

Mom time, that's how.

And "I'm going to get back to blogging" is on my list of things to do during the quarantine. I even have a pile of books, ready to go.

So I'm going to start with Danish Living books. This was out of my parenting in other countries binge, that developed into hygge research. And these are the books that I cozy up to about every Thanksgiving, when the weather gets chilly.

1. The Little Book of Hygge by Meik Wiking, is just a nice little guide to hygge, the Danish concept of coziness/familiarity/being snuggly to cope with the cold. Although it's not dismally dark where I live in the winter, I still like a little hygge in the winter, and this where I go.

2. The Hygge Life by Gislason and Eddy. More hygge, love the recipes. Slow down and be cozy.

3. How to Hygge: The Nordic Secrets to a Happy Life by Johansen. More cozy, more recipes, just more.

4. The Year of Living Danishly by Russell. This is another book I read just about every winter. Russell is an American who moves to Denmark and learns to cope, by embracing Danish culture. This is a charming little book and I like Russell's voice. Maybe I read this in the winter to remind myself I live closer to the equator than Denmark and really, although I hate February, it's really not that bad where I live. There's a little adult content, I wouldn't hand this book to my 10-year-old.

5. The Danish Way of Parenting by Alexander. I skim through this one, I think Russell (see above) has a better voice, but still, there's insight to Danish parenting culture in this book.


No comments: