Sunday, November 26, 2017

The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey

The Snow Child, by Eowyn Ivey, is on my current favorites list. You can check another source for a more complete summary, but here's mine: A childless couple lives in Alaska and wants a child. They build a snow child out of snow and then they see a real child flitting in and out of the woods. Is she real? Is she for them? And so the story goes . . .

It's more fairy tale than fiction as far as genre goes. It is itself, and it is lovely.

I checked it out of the library, and I felt like Ivey sent me my own beautiful gift. It is kind, it is gentle, it's about hope and love and losing and finding.

It's lovely.

I think Santa is going to bring me a copy. I will put it next to the other books I use as literary comfort food, warm and filling.

No comments: