Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Austen's Lady Susan: Shout Out to Chinua Achebe


I finally saw the latest movie rendition of Lady Susan by Jane Austen.

At first, I have to admit I was disappointed. I wanted more Pride and Prejudice. More Sense and Sensibility. I was even ready to be endeared to another Emma. 

Lady Susan is not that.

Think Jane Austen meets Oscar Wilde, that's more like it. It's almost farcical, it's so ridiculous. 

Then I realized: that's the point. Jane Austen deconstructing herself. 

So I got over looking for what I was looking for, only to find Austen's brilliance. Now I need to read the novella itself. 

Chinua Achebe was right. Things fall apart. Even Jane Austen. 


2 comments:

Meg said...

I had no idea there was a movie of Lady Susan. Since the book is written all in letters I'm having a hard time imagining how a movie could truly do it justice. I love the book. It is very different than any of Austen's other novels, but still has her great humor.

Deborah A. said...

Meg, I didn't know the book was in letters. I'm curious how they used those letters for the movie. I'll have to read it. Always love your comments!