Saturday, June 27, 2015

Summer 2015 Read Aloud Winner---The Roald Dahl books

I've been reading the Roald Dahl books out loud to my kids.

Where have I been? Why didn't I know about these before? It's like discovering another color in the Crayon box that I never noticed. I called myself literate?

I have read to them The BFG, The Magic Finger, Danny The Champion of the World, and The Fantastic Mr. Fox. We just started George's Marvelous Medicine, and I'm really hamming up the wicked Grandma.

Sheer delight. My favorite thing is that my two middle kids sit next to me on the couch when we read. During the suspenseful parts they scoot closer and closer until I'm sardined.

"Are you scared at this part?" I ask.

"No!" they shriek, "Just keep reading!"

Deal.

1 comment:

Laura Oler said...

Those books captured my kids, too. Fantastic Mr. fox was my favorite as a kid, but I still need to read some of the others. I think we should try one as a read aloud! Thanks for the recommendation!