Thursday, May 15, 2014

Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline

Orphan Train by Kline was on my book club's reading list.

You can tell it's not Kline's first novel because it has a nice story arc. Develops well, not too fast, ends well, not too rushed. Good character development.

The most fascinating thing is that Kline takes something real: the orphan trains that brought kids west, adds fictional characters, parallels it with a fictional story of a young woman in modern-day foster care, and POOF!

Story, there you go.

A good solid summer 2014 read. I'll pass my copy on and not necessarily need it back.

So if you see a copy at Costco . . . . :)

P.S. I hear there's another book by the same title. So if this is what you are looking for, make sure you get the one by Kline.

1 comment:

Jillaire said...

I read a book on those orphan trains (non-fiction) when I was doing my masters in American history, so when I first saw the title I wondered if that's what it was about and maybe not a novel. You have a copy, you say?