Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Books on CD, recommendations?

So the most expensive lesson I learned recently is that our van CD player gets stuck on the stickers on library CDs. Or the stickers on any CDs, for that matter, are no-no-no's for our van CD player. To the painful tune of $200 or so to pay to fix the CD player, consider it a lesson learned. No more CDs with stickers allowed, which means we won't be getting anything from the library, thank you very much. It's just less expensive to buy the ones we want. Or borrow them from friends.

So with summer road trips coming up, anyone have an ideas for books on CD that you love? Here are our top six:

1. Charlotte's Web by E B White.

2. Stuart Little by E B White.

3. Beatrix Potter tales

4. Wind in the Willows

5. The Cat in the Hat and Other Dr. Seuss

6. Green Eggs and Ham and other Servings of Dr. Seuss.

We listen to these over and over. Great, sound investments.

Any other suggestions?

4 comments:

Mariann said...

I stumbled upon a audio book of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory done by Eric Idle a while ago. I love it.

Your kids are a bit young for them, but I love the narrator of the Harry Potter books.

Laura Oler said...

Ouch, we get all our books on CD at the library, so I'm not much help. My kindergartner is especially into Magic Treehouse, which isn't a bad listen. I don't think we've listened to any more than once though. It isn't a book, but my kids love "Scripture Scouts." Basically, it's a lot of singing with a little story in between (kids in a tree house acting out the scriptures). I think everything my kids know about the scriptures, they learned from scripture scouts (not that we don't read -- but that's what they relate to, and they've listened to them tons). A little hokie, but worth the investment!

Sue Anne said...

Do either you or Eric have an MP3 player -- even an old one that you don't use often for music?

You can either get an adapter to play the MP3 via your car stereo or speaker.

You could get an audible.com subscription and get downloads relatively inexpensively or there are also sites like - http://www.booksshouldbefree.com/genre/Children - that you can download some books from.

Melody said...

I remember loving an audiobook of The Twits; I still hear those voices in my head. And I can't remember how old your kids are, but we recently did Percy Jackson, which had the added benefit of keeping adults and kids engaged -- and teaching you how to pronounce Greek words.