Monday, March 4, 2013

Amazon Used Book Buying is Very Very Dangerous

When I was writing my thesis, Amazon came up with One-Click buying. One click, it shipped. It was very dangerous and I had to be careful. In the end, I bought a bunch of books I wanted/needed for my writing, and it was a good thing because the darn thing took two years to write and I was glad I just owned the books and didn't have to keep pleading my renewal case to the university library in another state.

But I've discovered something even more dangerous on Amazon---buying used books. My voracious reader son wanted the Brainwaves books (think Where's Waldo, but about science, really good stuff) about space, the body, and chemistry. I decided to just buy them because they are enthralling and informative---the kind of books I like to own. I didn't want to pay full price, so I gave used book buying a try. The prices were fabulous. $2 plus $4 in shipping. Seriously? Much better than full price. I bought three---one was "like new", one was "very good" and one was "acceptable". All came in excellent condition.

Dangerous, very dangerous. I save money by paying less, but spend money by buying more. For less. You see the problem.

Caution! Caution!

2 comments:

Sea Star said...

I have fallen for this too. It is quite a predicament. I always succumb to this trick Amazon pulls especially when it is book that is out of print and the library doesn't have it. We now have more books than our shelves can hold. But I can't get rid of any of them. My kids love them and they are all GREAT books.



Jen said...

Have you met paperbackswap.com yet? If not, you should!