Friday, May 18, 2012

The Shunning

Not much reading going on around here, it's May and it's crazy. This week, for instance, we attended school open house, a trip to the zoo, preschool at our house, and the school carnival. We also had one mom (me) who was in charge of the teachers' luncheon, a PTA meeting, our family's turn to clean the church, a trip to get fitted for glasses, and soccer practice. Eric had early mornings at work and nights spent with church work. Tomorrow we have a soccer game (we are in charge of treats) and two birthday parties (not our kids).

Not much reading going on here. Not by me at least.

But.

I did see a good movie. After finding Arranged, I've been looking for good movies that depict well (and not sensationalize or demonize) other religious and belief systems. I saw The Shunning, directed by Michael Landon Jr, and I liked it. The plot deals with a young woman in the Amish community and her emotional journey as she is shunned by her community. Low budget movie, but good acting. Drew me in. I like that wasn't about a young woman struggling to get out of her community, but about her struggles as she tried to stay in it. All sorts of juicy sub-themes: community needs vs. individual needs; non-mother mentor figures; mother needs vs. daughter needs; room in a strict religious community for people who row their boat their own way; growing up, etc.

Marcie, this would be great in a high school homeschool comparative religion unit in a language arts class. Completely clean and rich with themes for writing and discussion. I think sophmores maybe, juniors definitely.

Or, this would be a great movie for a book club full of women who didn't have time to read an entire novel, but wanted a good movie to discuss. Not objectionable, but rich in conflict.

Someone watch this. Then I want to talk about it with you. (Which reminds me of one of the most flattering ways I was ever asked out on a date . . . a PhD candidate in my church congregation said to me, "So there's this movie I just saw with all of these Jane Austen parallels. . . I need an intelligent woman to see it with me so then we can talk about it. How about Friday?")

That was another movie, and I don't need a date  . . . but watch it, and we'll chat.

3 comments:

Meg said...

I haven't seen the movie but I did read the book (and the rest of the trilogy) some years ago. Now thinking about it I would like to reread them because I don't remember much of what happened. But I do remember that I liked the books. They were the first Beverly Lewis books I ever read.

Meg said...

I reread the books. I think you should read them, just so you can get the full story. If the movie follows the book at all, it really leaves you hanging for what happens to Katie.

katy said...

Deborah, I finally watched this movie, if only so I could say, "Me! Pick me! Let's have a conversation about it... and anything/everything else in life!" Thanks for the recommendation - miss you!