Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Tallgrass by Sandra Dallas

Though I loved Persian Pickle Club, I didn't get too jazzed about Alice's Tulips. So I was hesitant to give Sandra Dallas another shot, but I did anyway.

And she came through for me. I read her Tallgrass, a story about a little fictional town that's set near one of the historical Japanese Internment camps.

I find this part of our country's history perplexing. I read Journey to Topaz, but never taught it in my years as a teacher. But the topic is haunting.

The book started slow for me, and I had to will my way into the plot, but I got there. And found some excellent characters. Dallas is strong with characters and plot. The dialogue drags a little in some places, but the other strengths compensate. Loved the end. Didn't see it coming and I can usually guess the end before I get there. So good job on that one, Ms. Dallas!

I would recommend this. Good for book groups. Ample fodder for discussion.

Katy, you don't do WWII now, but if you do, this would be good extra credit. Tough themes, good writing material. And it hasn't been made into a movie that I know of so they'd really have to read it. If you have a really sensitive soul in your class, probably not for him/her because of just a few lines of violence description. Pretty mild, but there.

No comments: