Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Here's What Santa Brought Me For Christmas

Books. Santa brought me books. Santa reads my blog so he knows which books I adore, but don't own copies of. He brought me:

Their Eyes Were Watching God by Hurston
Through the Children's Gate by Gopnik
Essays of EB White by EB White
These is my Words by Turner
Griffin and Sabine by Bantock

Santa brought me that last book because I do like the book, and I do like name Sabine. If I were pregnant with a girl, "Sabine" would be on the list for a girls name. Not as in "Sabine" as in "Sabine women/passive/captured/exploited" but "Sabine" as in reminds me of the verb "saber" as in "She who knows with conviction/understands/comprehends."

Wait! Since I am pregnant with a girl, I can put Sabine on my list. TADA!

That Santa. The longer I live, the more clever I think Santa is.

P.S. My children also punctuate things they say with "TADA!" Ah, the sweet echoes of linguistic Deborah quirks.

3 comments:

LizzyP said...

Linguistically quirky they will be. Lucky them.

LizzyP said...

P.s. I'm reading Garlic and Sapphires and I love her. I'm going to reserve Tender to the Bone at the library. AND my book club is reading Guernsey per my assignment--being my friend sometimes leads to amazing things. Sometimes.

katy said...

Can I comment on a comment? Love love love Garlic and Sapphires. Is it the writing? Or is it my love of food? Either way, the two combine beautifully.

Deborah - I need to email you for more book recommendations. But not a hard assignment like the last time. Easy, fun reads.