Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Blackbird Pond

A while ago, I did a top ten post on young adult literature that I thought was worth reading as an adult. I could only come up with nine, and some readers suggested The Witch of Blackbird Pond as a possibility for number ten.

So I finally read it again (while reading another book: you'll still have to wait for that one---Why is it taking Deborah so long? Why doesn't she just finish Mystery Book and get on with it? What's the deal? You'll have to wait and then I'll explain. I'm almost done with Mystery Book. Stay tuned.)

Blackbird Pond was great, of course, and I think it should be read again and again. This is one good example of historical fiction that makes me wonder why more middle school/high school history teachers don't teach historical fiction when they teach history. There's some really good stuff in Blackbird Pond about pre-revolution America, Quakers, Puritans, etc. Had this been an extra credit option when I did American history as a junior in high school, I would have done it. And liked it. And learned from it.

Jenny, I think Emma might be old enough for Blackbird Pond. Certainly as a read-aloud. Would be a good basis for early American history discussion.

3 comments:

Anjanette said...

I was reading this with my 5th graders but didn't finish...I had a baby instead. I liked what I read & will have to finish it.

katy said...

I agree that more fiction should be read in history classes. That said, what would be your top choices for high school students? (I teach 9th grade early world & 11th grade modern US classes. I've read selections from "Snow Flower" and "Grapes of Wrath," but would like to find a few other options for students to read on their own, especially in the medieval Europe, Africa, Islamic Empire, and American progressive time periods.)

Jenny said...

I agree it's really good. Emma has read it several times and we've read it once as a family read aloud. I use historical fiction all the time in teaching my kids and my other students.