Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Saddle up


I finally found a book to give hope to Guernsey fans. Honestly, I was worried that I'd never find another good book again and I would wither away, pining.

But saddle up, cowgirls, and get ready for a wild ride. I've found a book that will put the spice back in your chili.

Read These is My Words by Nancy E. Turner. This came recommended from two sources: one, my friend Lys-An, who always finds the good stuff and two, from a woman on a plane who overheard me mention the title and turned around in her seat to tell me that she LOVES this book.

I liked it from the start, and by page eight, I was hooked. The passage that did it was when the narrator, teenage Sarah, is describing how she shot a deer and some other girls in her wagon train are shocked. Sarah says, "They said so many times oh my, oh my, that I thought I might of stood on my head and sang a song it was so strange to them. Well I lived in the territory all my life and I got four brothers and a girl has got to get along."

Hook. Line. Sinker. Right til the very end.

Just trust me. Go find the book. Meg in Sheridan, request that your library buy it.

4 comments:

Amy & Greg said...

Oh, Deborah, bless you. I have been pining away since Guernsey. I am so excited to read this one. Oh, and thank you for reminding of your book blog. Yipee!

Meg said...

My library actually has it! I just put it on hold.

Kristen Crockett said...

This is a great one, I agree! Oh, Captain Jack, where are you?

Meg said...

Wonderful book. I read it twice, just for good measure. I think my favorite line of the whole book is when she's trying not to think about a certain kiss so she feeds the chickens and she says, "They are getting mighty fat."

Thank you for the recommendation.