Monday, March 9, 2009

For Jenny Baker: The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau

Jenny asked if I'd read The City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau and I hadn't, so I did.

It was good. Plot was good. Character development was good. Ending was good---I skipped to end by about page thirty. Read it. Nice! So I went back and read the book. The writing is decent---not art, but decent. (Stephanie Meyers proved that artistic writing isn't what sells anyway. Plot sells. Character sells.) Jenny, Emma can read this and be fine. Nothing questionable. I'm not sure that I'll go on to read the rest of the series today, but someday I'll own the series for my kids when they are tweens.

It reminded me, actually, of Margaret Peterson Haddix's Running out of Time. Similar plotlines. Young hero and heroines find themselves in the middle of a community experiment gone bad. The adults won't solve the problem, or admit there is one, so it's up to the youth. Who face danger head on and, with cunning, face the problem. I think that Ember and Running would be nice compliments for discussion. You could have Emma read both and then talk about the similarity in themes. That would be good, actually.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Thanks! I'll order the books.