Thursday, January 29, 2009

Austenland, Striped Pajames, Guernsey Literary

So I picked up Austenland by Shannon Hale with low expectations, having heard from my friend Mariann that it was a disappointment.

I hate it when my low expectations are met.

Hale can write. She has great characters, and she can do a great plot.

But she didn't.

Austenland started fine and then crashed in flames. Ashes were all that were left at the end.

Here's a list of just some of the problems with this book: too many make-out scenes. I skip these anyway (my husband is more fun to kiss than reading about someone else kissing their paramour), but there were a lot. The themes are good: what's real and what's illusion in the game of love, but there's no development. And the last scene when Jane leaves WITH a man was unnecessary. The point of the whole book was that she could learn to be a whole person by herself, in reality. So it would've been better had she left---whole---to find another whole person. Together they might've had a chance. But the Mr. Nobley shows up at the airport at the end thing---pointless. Mariann pointed out it would've been better had she found someone on the plane. At least he would've been a whole, real man who wore jeans instead of breeches.

So four thumbs down for Austenland, which is the two thumbs I have, and two more thumbs because Hale can do better than this.

But. The Boy in the Stried Pajamas by John Boyne was fabulous. Really honestly fabulous. Subtle. Powerful. Shook the plate techonics of my mind. It's about a nine year old boy and his experiences being the son of a Commandant of a concentration camp in WWII Poland.

And it's just plain good. So different from say, Elie Wiesel's Night, which I taught my 8th grade English class. My problem with Night was that it was so shocking and graphic. Something to read alone, painfully, but not something that I wanted to journey with 8th graders. But Striped Pajamas I would teach. All the meaning, all the power, all the message, all the atrocity, but gently.

Yes, Boy in the Striped Pajamas. Boyne is one of the best authors I've ever read, ever, who can speak in another person's point of view and make it authentic. I can't say enough good about this book. It should be required reading for everyone. (Wouldn't that be a concept---a Universal Required Reading List---Want your driver's license? Want to buy groceries? Not yet, you haven't done your reading.

But I digress.)

I also loved, loved, loved The Guernsey Literary and Potato Pie Peel Society by Shaffer and Barrows. It's been a while since I've been so charmed by a book. Completely and utterly mesmerized and charmed. I didn't read it---I inhaled it. S and B are fantastic writers and they are masters of character. Takes place in WWII London and thereabouts. Deals with the war, yes, but that's the backdrop. It's really about life and laughter and friendship and love. Go read it and then come talk to me about it. Or we can go play Dead Bride (That's from the book. If you don't read the book, you'll have to play Dead Bride with Charlie Ravioli.)

My only problem with Guernsey is that it ended.

I wish there were a sequel.

7 comments:

Sea Star said...

I remember thinking the same things about Austenland. It wasn't that exciting.

You are the 2nd person to recommend Boy in the Striped Pajamas. I went to see if the library had that one along with Guernsey and they both have long waiting lists. So they both must be good.

I added them to my list. We will see when I will get them.

As always.... thanks for the book recommendations.

Michelle said...

I just added both of your recommendations to my list at the library. Both sound fabulous. I loved Hale's Goose Girl, so I'm sorry to hear Austenland is such a disappointment. Thanks for the tip!

LizzyP said...

Thanks for your recommendation. I'll put them on my list.

Meg said...

So I've been looking for a good book to read and read your review. My library actually had the Guernsey Literary book (this is the first time this library has had a book I've wanted to read). I checked it our and started reading. So far I love it. I would stay up and keep reading all night except that I have two children who will need my attention tomorrow. It's a hard book to put down.

Meg said...

Today I finished Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. I absolutely loved it. I, too, wish there were a sequel. I may read it again before I have to return it.

I also wish my library had some of the other books you've recommended.

Kristen Crockett said...

We just finished our last episode of Foyle's War--how great that I can now dig up S&B to continue my fixation!

Michelle said...

I just finished The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, literally five minutes ago, and wanted to thank you for the recommendation. What a powerful, but subtle, book. I have never thought about that subject through the eyes of a child. Very moving. I can't wait until Guernsey finally arrives!